I am a Sweetheart to One and a Mommy to Four Loveable Babes, one of which is smiling down on us from Heaven. I am learning to dance in the rain. Come with me on my journey as I make the most out of Life's mud puddles.

Put on your rain boots. Great adventure lies ahead.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fruits


"Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you are saying." (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

I heard that quote a few years ago and its truth reverberates in my soul. It reminds me that we can teach in three ways: example, example, example. Such an important thing to remember.

In recent days, my faith of choice has been blasted by a naive few in the media. While I do not wish to start a dialogue of political banter, I DO wish to clarify a few misconceptions.

  • As a Mormon, I AM a Christian. Jesus Christ is central to my faith. If you have read this blog for more than two seconds, I hope you know that.
  • I believe that no matter how hard I try, I am - in the end - saved by God's Grace after all I can do. If I truly believe, my Life should act as a testimony to that commitment. After all, "by their fruits ye shall know them." (Mathew 7:20)
  • Those that are true Christians spend their time serving, teaching and building. They do not engage in bigoted, destructive commentary on another's faith. Christ was a builder, not a wrecker. The same should be said of his followers.
  • And - last but not least - if you want to find out about a subject, go to the source. In college, I wanted to learn more about the Jewish and Islamic faiths. So I went to the capital of all religions . . . Jerusalem. For a semester, I studied not only the Life of Christ but also the history and beliefs of our Jewish and Muslim brothers and sisters from THEIR leaders. It. Was. Fascinating. I saw their faith differently when I was able to engage in personal dialogue with them and hear about their familial traditions and convictions. The take away? If you want to find out about a Mormon, ask a Mormon. Do not ask a Moron. (sorry. I usually don't condone labeling but - hey - if the shoe fits . . . )
In closing, a quote by an inspiring Christian himself, C.S. Lewis:
Once we allow people to start spiritualizing and refining, or as they might say 'deepening' the sense of the word Christian . . . it will become a useless word . . . It's not for us to say who, in the deepest sense, is or is not close to the spirit of Christ. We do not see into men's hearts. We cannot judge . . . It would be wicked arrogance for us to say that any man is, or is not, a Christian.
And that's all I have to say on the subject.

8 comments:

  1. Well said. I have had a similar experience this week on facebook with a "friend" who is Baptist and posted some similar remarks about us not being Christians and being a "cult" Her source was an article written by a Baptist minister. I responded to her in a similar way (although without the moron comment) lol However, privately I totally agree with you. I did point out to her that although our views differ, I still consider her to be a Christian since she believes in and follows Christ. Her position is we do not believe in "her" Christ - a man who was born of a virgin, was a member of the Holy Trinity (not a group of three distinct beings but one being) and whose sacrifice saves us whether we repent or not. I told her that love, tolerance, and compassion are the key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I.LOVE.YOU.

    I watched the video segment with Anderson Cooper and the pastor and I just wanted to reach through the screen and give Anderson a big kiss. I wasn't even angry at the pastor's remarks. Just baffled that he could be that ignorant. "Ask a Mormon. Don't ask a Moron." Beauty. Loved it. And, the shoe did fit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. read that C.S. Lewis quote yesterday as well. Sums it all up! The shoe definitely fits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said! You are so good with your words, Mandy, and also so motivating. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pastor is crazy sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You hit the nail on the head!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being a part of my journey. I appreciate your supportive and healing comments. Here's to a Promise of Sunshine!