I am a Sweetheart to One and a Mommy to Four Loveable Babes, one of which is smiling down on us from Heaven. I am learning to dance in the rain. Come with me on my journey as I make the most out of Life's mud puddles.

Put on your rain boots. Great adventure lies ahead.

Monday, November 14, 2011

Recognising Miracles


After the kids were in bed tonight, I decided to peruse Netflix so I could watch a flick while I cleaned up the post-Christmas decoration mess (yes, it's up). While flipping through the numerous options, I happened upon a 13 minute story entitled "In the Arms of Angels". The short film relayed the story of a Pioneer brother and sister and the heavenly intervention that took place that saved their lives.

*PAUSE BUTTON - I must note - in full disclosure - that "faith promoting" stories have not always comforted my heart since Bennett's death. Oft times when I hear tales like "I was backing out of the driveway and felt prompted to check behind the car and discovered that I almost ran over the garbage can", I feel conflicted, torn and - at times - even angry. Why was their seemingly inconsequential prayer answered before it was even uttered? Why didn't I hear my son - whose crib I could see across the hallway - while his life slipped away? Why did I not receive a prompting that may have saved his life?

Perhaps some of you flinch as you even read those questions. I have as I've asked them. At times they have tormented my soul. But they are raw, they are real and they are legitimate. It is what it is and it's part of the journey.

Okay, back to our story.

So the older sister makes a decision that puts her and her brother's life in danger. Then, in the midst of disaster, angels lift and save them from sure death. They are rescued and live to tell the tale.

So how does this apply to me, you ask? I will tell you. It's all in the application.

There were a few lines written in the narration that cut me to the core.

Life is lessons.
Life is troubles.
Learning obedience may be Life's hardest lesson of all.

I would add that accepting God's will and going forward IS the highest form of obedience. It's dang tough. But necessary.

Another . . .

There are times in everyone's life that you feel that you've been given the short end of the stick. I believe that at those times we need to accept the situation, pull ourselves up by the bootstraps and move on.

Move on. Hmmm . . .

That principle echoes in my soul. I may have worded it differently ("go forward" would be my phrase of choice) but there is truth in the concept.

So what was my take away after watching this 13 minute film? Did I walk away feeling guilty, cheated, or abandoned? Hardly. I was inspired. And I'll tell you why.

I was reminded that miracles come in all shapes and sizes. Sure, there are those that are immediately recognised as such. And then there are the other kind.

Like the death of our sweet Bennett.

Did the word "miracle" EVER cross my mind in the moments immediately following our horrific discovery? Uh, heck no. But in the days, weeks and months following this realization, I have seen God's grace first hand.

I have witnessed the goodness of humanity.
I have felt God's all consuming love so intimately in my "midnight moments."
I have been carried by a Loving Father in Heaven and His Angels. Both on Earth and in Heaven.
I have experienced a "peace that surpasses all understanding."
I have met so many beautiful human beings around the world that have supported, lifted and comforted me in my loss.
I have felt my belief and faith strengthened while living one of my greatest fears.
I have known Hope in Heartache.
And I have been directed in how to help my precious loved ones as they grieve the loss of their brother and son.

All things considered, God IS a God of Miracles. THAT I know. They happen everyday, be it in the Good or the Growing. It is simply up to us to recognise His hand. Is it easy? HECK NO! But it is what we were sent here to learn. Tough things are going to happen. After all, Fair is where they show the pigs. But what we BECOME from it is entirely up to us.

So I choose to see Miracles.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. You continue to touch my heart with your blog and God speaks directly through you in your words. You are a true woman of God and a blessing to so many, whilst going through such a difficult time in your life. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your words. I've been having a hard time seeing the miracles lately. Thanks for the reminder of what I need to look for:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love - Love this post Amanda! I have been struggling with hard questions of my own and the why's. You are so right, what we become is entirely up to us! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I've had a few difficult days and one really hard day, this is just something I needed to hear today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful words. We have watched that movie before... and there are some words of wisdom in there. You amaze me in your ability to see miracles already, but yes, God is a God of miracles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know... I read every single one of your posts and they are all so amazing, but I don't comment on them all because frankly, I get choked up so much that I have to click off real fast at the end.

    I'm so glad you keep writing--even if it is so hard to do so. I know writing can help you heal, and for us readers, it can help us have hope.

    love you so much;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally with you on the 'answered prayers' thing. I have a hard time hearing other people's miracle stories about finding lost keys. Also with you on the blessings that come along with this trial of ours - it is very much a two sided coin. Can't learn the lessons without the deepest of hardships either…as much as we would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you don't mind me posting on your blog but I happened here by One Scrappin Mama today. I am sorry for your loss here on earth with Bennett. I wanted to share a quote I had posted this week on my blog that I thought you might enjoy reading.

    "The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen." -Elizabeth Kubler Ross

    I also wanted to share a book with you that I am currently reading by Ann Voskamp called "One Thousand Gifts".

    Lifting you and your family up in prayer this week and throughout the holidays to come. I so appreciate your honesty and sharing of your intimate thoughts. Would you mind me sharing your blog with some friends and family members?

    xoxoxo
    Diana aka BiT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being a part of my journey. I appreciate your supportive and healing comments. Here's to a Promise of Sunshine!